I hope you all had a good weekend and have fully recovered from all of the tests that took place last week. We are deep into the semester and things are really rolling in the innovation Gym. Today is the last day to sign up for the FALL IDE so be sure to jump on this opportunity.
Before I get to the upcoming events I want to recognize the team from the Innovation GYM that competed last weekend in the 20/20 hackathon and were able to win and take home the top prize of $10,000. Great job guys! It just goes to show you what you can accomplish in a weekend if you put your mind to it.
Here are some of the upcoming events in the Gym that you should be interested in.
- Fall Immersion Design Experience – October 11-14th (Signup by September 30th)
- This IDE we have partnered with a company called “Wabafun” to have a competition on who can design and build the tallest tower using their toy product “SUPERSTRUCTS,” a plastic version of Tinkertoys. Up to 5 teams of 4 will attempt to build the tallest structure they can with the toys in the time provided. The team that wins will get a trip to Washington, DC in fall of 2014 to oversee the build of another tower which will be going for a Guinness World Record to become the “World’s Tallest Toy”.
- If you are interested in being part of this event please apply through this form. http://smugym.com/?page_id=115 Applications are individual, but there is a spot for other people you would like to work with. By filling out the application you commit to being available for the event if selected. This event is limited to 20 students.
- 3D printer and Laser cutter training
- Many of you have received the training for this equipment but there are still many of you who have been asking about it, specifically the want to have training at other times. I have listened and have moved the training times and am offering a new opportunity to get trained on the equipment.
- Starting tomorrow 10-1-2013, training will be offered Tuesdays and Thursdays from 11am-12pm. hopefully this time allows more of you to attend.
- Group sessions – In order to accommodate groups and teams I will schedule specific training sessions for the equipment. The process is simple. Gather a group of friends must be 6 or more students, pick 3 times you all can commit to training and send me an email with the information. I will try to make one of the 3 times work and will conduct a training session.
- You must block off times of 1 hour and the time must be scheduled more than 1 week in advance.
- Each of these group sessions will be scheduled and put on the Innovation Gym calendar. This will allow others to take advantage of the time and will be open for anyone to attend.
- Innovation Competition – We are only a couple weeks away from the launch of the 2013/2014 Innovation Competition, and a chance for you to win your piece of ~$10,000 to help fund your venture. Look for more information on this contest in the upcoming update.
- Innovator Hours – Do you have an idea but don’t know where to go next? Come to innovator hours every Friday at noon. We all share ideas and see what we can do on a Friday afternoon.
- Robotics Club – The robotics club meets in the Innovation Gym every Tuesday night at 7pm. Come and build robots, no experience required.
- TEDxSMU – Every Tuesday at 12:30pm, we meet in the gym watch a TED talk and have a discussion about the topic. Bring your lunch and get involved in the conversation
Please encourage your friends to sign up for this list by sending them here http://smugym.com/?page_id=73 As always an updated calendar you can always go to www.smugym.com, Like us on facebook, or stop by the Gym.
Until Next time, keep innovating,
Director of the Innovation Gymnasium
Lyle School of Engineering
Southern Methodist University